BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] automysqlbackup

2009-02-05 13:02:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] automysqlbackup
From: Dylan Swift <dylan.swift AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 18:00:57 +0000
> Ok I was looking at the script also. I guess it doesn't matter which
> mysql or mysqldump it calls, the one in the server app folder or the
> "normal" one as long as the port is correct? Or would it be better to
> change the script to reflect the server app folder? For instance
> including port...
>
> # Database dump function
> dbdump () {
> mysqldump --user=$USERNAME --password=$PASSWORD --host=$DBHOST $OPT $1
>  > $2
> return 0
> }

> # Database dump function
> dbdump () {
> /<Server_App_Home>/mysqldump --user=$USERNAME --password=$PASSWORD --
> port=<New_Port_Number> --host=$DBHOST $OPT $1 > $2
> return 0
> }
>

> It does use a different port so will have to look into where to place
> those.
>
> Thanks
>
> Terri Kelley

Aaah! sorry, now I see where you're coming from! - Is the virtual
server an Apache virtual server (aka virtual host) or are you refering
to some kind of VMware/Xen/KVM type virtual server.

If the latter then the two installations should not be accesable to
each other, and the automysqlbackup will only be able to use one
installation, so it too will need to be installed twice.

If the former (ie you could call either mysql client from the command
line just by specifying the full path) then I would suggest using the
mysql/mysqldump in the <Server_App_Home> folder simply to ensure that
the versions of the server daemon and client match (in case one
instance gets updated, but not the other).
You could then hard code the paths into 2 copies of the
automysqlbackup script OR pass a command line switch to the
automysqlbackup script to identify which instance of the client you
wished to use. As the design of the script is such that the other
parameters are hard coded into the first section, then I would
consider doing the same with the base path to the clients AND the
port, and modify all instances where the mysql/mysqldump clients are
called from within the script.

Hope that helps

Dylan