BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] restore questions

2009-01-20 02:37:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] restore questions
From: "Nils Breunese (Lemonbit)" <nils AT lemonbit DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:35:26 +0100
Nick Smith wrote:

> What do you think would be the harm in just doing full backups?
> instead of doing a
> full and then forever incrementals, if the full backup really only
> backs up changed files
> since the last full backup, i really wouldnt need to do incrementals
> at all, and from what
> i understand actually get shorter backups and use less bandwidth with
> full backups, but
> with more cpu/memory overhead.  its a dual xeon 3.2ghz machine with
> 2gigs of ram, so i think
> that will be just fine, maybe in the future ill up the ram.

I think a mix of full and incremental backups is still the best
configuraiton. Full backups take longer (at least on our BackupPC
servers), probably because it takes more resources to compare all file
contents. We do use checksum caching. I find that the default setup of
doing full backups once a week and incrementals in between is working
just fine for us.

Nils Breunese.