BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] restore questions

2009-01-19 20:31:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] restore questions
From: Nick Smith <nick.smith79 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 20:29:37 -0500

> Other people have pretty much answered your questions already, but I'll
> pass on my experience with backuppc as well as an extra data point for you.
>
> I am using the older backuppc 2.1.2pl1 from Debian stable in a few places.
>
> Originally I was going to do a single full and forever incremental
> backups (since we didn't want to delete any backups ever anyway).
> However, I found the backup took longer and longer each time, because as
> new files were added, the incremental backup was transferring all the
> data of all new files/changed file compared to the original full. Of
> course, data storage on the backup server only stored a single copy of
> the files, even though they were transferred multiple times.
>
> This was when I changed to do a full every 3 days to reduce the
> bandwidth requirement, even though it increased the cpu/disk IO/time to
> complete the backup.
>
> If you want to minimise bandwidth, every backup would be a full (if
> using rsync/rsyncd).
>
> BTW, from what I know, in newer versions, each incremental is compared
> to the most recent backup of any lower level. So, you could do a level
> 0, level 1, level 2, level 3 ..... level 9, level 0, level 1 etc...
>
> That way, you only transfer a small amount of data each day, but still
> get a quick backup time with the benefits of the incremental.
>
> You might also want to consider that you don't really lose anything by
> having lots of level, you still only restore the latest version of all
> files. It isn't like doing a level 0 tape, level 1 tape, etc... you
> simply restore what you want and backuppc automatically restores the
> latest version of each file.
>
> Regards,
> Adam

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I did learn something from your
post though,
i didnt know that didnt matter how many levels you have that backuppc would
automatically restore the latest version, I was under the assumption
that i would
have to do it like tape, starting with level 0 and go forward.  which
is why i was only
level 0 and 1 backups, to try and prevent that.

What do you think would be the harm in just doing full backups?
instead of doing a
full and then forever incrementals, if the full backup really only
backs up changed files
since the last full backup, i really wouldnt need to do incrementals
at all, and from what
i understand actually get shorter backups and use less bandwidth with
full backups, but
with more cpu/memory overhead.  its a dual xeon 3.2ghz machine with
2gigs of ram, so i think
that will be just fine, maybe in the future ill up the ram.

thanks again for your post.