BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Using existing rsync exclusion files?

2009-01-16 13:52:18
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Using existing rsync exclusion files?
From: "Walter Francis" <wally AT theblackmoor DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:28:49 -0500 (EST)
Hello, I have a system which I have used for several years which works well,
but I'm liking the features, interface, and granularity of BackUpPC so I've
installed and looked at it a bit.

At a high level, what I do is this:  On the server, it backs up the entire
filesystem, using a file to exclude various obvious paths like /proc, and it
makes 4 snapshots per day, then maintains 1 snapshot per day for 5 days.

On my client machines, I generally only backup once per week, and I use NFS
mounts to do so.  Generally on my client machines I am only backing up very
specific areas on the machines, but if necessary, I could add additional
exclusions to maintain this level of backup if BackUpPC behaves differently in
this manner.  (see below)

One thing which I really need to be able to do is utilize the rsync exclude
files which I maintain for each of my backup sets.  Is it possible to do this,
either via config file, or (ideally), via something like
/etc/backuppc/exclude/hostname.exclude where hostname is dynamic so you just
drop in a file for a hostname and those paths are automatically excluded.  I
started to do something along this nature by tweaking the scripts itself when
the rsync command line options are build, but I decided I better ask first.  I
might be missing something, plus I prefer to not 'lock' myself out of
upgrades.

Also, when backing up a client PC, I could not figure out how to specify what
is backed up.  I'm probably just being obtuse here and missed the obvious, but
can I specify things like backup NFS path machine:/media/Importantfiles and
machine:/home/specificuser etc.  These paths are already defined in fstab and
all set up, just couldn't figure out how to specify multiple paths for a
client rather than the whole box.

Sorry for the probably dumb questions, I'm going to poke around some more and
will probably figure out my questions along the way, but would still
appreciate any input, particularly about using my existing rsync exclude
files.

Thanks!

--
Walter Francis