BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Copying in a file instead of backing up?

2009-01-14 02:13:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Copying in a file instead of backing up?
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 01:11:06 -0600
Johan Ehnberg wrote:
>> OK. I can see now why this is true. But it seems like one could
>> rewrite the backuppc rsync protocol to check the pool for a file with
>> same checksum  before syncing. This could give some real speedup on
>> long files. This would be possible at least for the cpool where the
>> rsync checksums (and full file checksums) are stored at the end of
>> each file.
>
> Now this would be quite the feature - and it fits perfecty with the idea
> of smart pooling that BackupPC has. The effects are rather interesting:
>
> - Different incremental levels won't be needed to preserve bandwidth
> - Full backups will indirectly use earlier incrementals as reference
>
> Definite whishlist item.

But you'll have to read through millions of files and the common case of
a growing logfile isn't going to find a match anyway.  The only way this
could work is if the remote rsync could send a starting hash matching
the one used to construct the pool filenames - and then you still have
to deal with the odds of collisions.