BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Copying in a file instead of backing up?

2009-01-14 01:26:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Copying in a file instead of backing up?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 00:23:40 -0600
Christian Völker wrote:

> Good point.
> But for obvious reasons I want to have a backup which you can call a
> backup and not only a partial one. Additionally I want to delete the
> local file as it wastes space.

Keep in mind that it will be as impossible to restore to the remote
location as it is to back up from there...

But, I'd expect it to work if you exclude the large file from the remote
run to get an otherwise complete full backup.  Meanwhile copy the file
into some local directory that is being backed up, then on the backuppc
server locate the mangled name of the file you backed up locally and
hard link it to the location in the remote server's full backup where it
belongs, then remove the exclusion.  It might not work because the file
won't have the attrib data, but I suppose you could rebuild that as well
if needed.  Then do another full run on the remote.