BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Q: Server spec for small BackupPC Deployment

2009-01-11 13:10:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Q: Server spec for small BackupPC Deployment
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:06:39 -0600
Christian Völker wrote:

>> that 512MB of RAM is more than enough.  just watch your memory use with
>> 'free' while doing a backup and you will see the usage.  If you dont run
>> a GUI on the linux install you will likely never use more that 128MB of
>> RAM.
> I wouldn't second that!

Yes, while you may be able to get by with less than a gig of RAM, adding
more will make a big difference in anything that has a lot of disk
activity because of the way it is use for filesystem buffering.  If the
motherboard can take it, I'd add more.  This is a problem for some older
systems, though.  Intel made a lot of 'desktop' motherboards that could
only see 512k.