BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Q: Server spec for small BackupPC Deployment

2009-01-11 12:24:46
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Q: Server spec for small BackupPC Deployment
From: Christian Völker <chrischan AT knebb DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 18:22:49 +0100
Hi,

> that 512MB of RAM is more than enough.  just watch your memory use with
> 'free' while doing a backup and you will see the usage.  If you dont run
> a GUI on the linux install you will likely never use more that 128MB of
> RAM.
I wouldn't second that!

As you can see in the attached graph my BackupPC has 1G of memory- and
uses plenty of them for itself. On this box there is no GUI running and
this box does nothing else than backuppc with httpd only for backuppc.

>>From time to time when the BackupPC_dump task is running it consumes up
to 600M! So there is then not too much memory remaining for cache. There
are never more than two backup simultaniously.

For myself I'm considering to give this box 1.5G of memory....

BTW: I'm backing up 30 hosts.

PNG image