BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] OK, question that I have no clue where to look for an answer...

2009-01-09 02:38:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] OK, question that I have no clue where to look for an answer...
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 01:36:45 -0600
James Beam wrote:
> I have Backuppc working finally on my Ubuntu box - working like a charm for
> pc's and our servers.
>
> Problem:
>
> We have 7 users that are on laptops, they take them home every evening and
> sometimes travel so they aren't even in the office.
>
> Is there a way to setup some kind of a test to see if a given laptop is
> connected to the local network (not when they are on travel obviously) and
> if the laptop is present, do a full or incremental backup at that time -
> every day?
>
> Sometimes even I do not know when they are in the office.
>
> Any advice on where to look for this info (if it exists) would be much
> appreciated.

That should just happen by default, unless they are connected and
powered up regularly outside of the blackout time.  Once they have been
seen some (configurable) number of times outside of the blackout,
backuppc will stop checking for them at other times.   In any case it
may be a better approach to set up web logins for the laptop users so
they can start backups at convenient times (like when leaving for lunch)
instead of having the backup run consume their resources randomly.