BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Archive full backups?

2009-01-07 10:30:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Archive full backups?
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 16:28:25 +0100
On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 01:38:19PM +0100, Bernhard Schneck wrote:

> I've been using BackupPC (3.0.0) on Ubuntu (8.x) for a while
> and am quite happy with it ... thanks a lot for the effort
> to all BackupPC developers and contributors!
>
> I've started to look at the Archive functions.
>
> What I want to achieve is to do regular full and incremental
> backups, while archiving the most recent full backups to
> different media regularly (say once per week).
>
> As I understand, Archive will transfer the most recent backup
> to the archive storage location ... even if this is an
> incremental and the corresponding full backup has not been
> archived (which makes the incremental more or less unusable
> for disaster recovery purposes)

No, the archive you get from a full will be identical to the archive you
get from an "incremental". The term "full backup" and "incremental
backup" is only of interest during the data transfer phase from client
to the BackupPC server. After that, all backups are treated (almost) the
same with "gaps" in incrementals being automatically filled from the most
recent incremental or full.

I'm using the archive feature with a custom script to get archives on
tape - the script checks which hosts to archive (based on last archive
time), then creates the archive. When the script is finished (it's got
an enforced timeout), Bacula picks up the archives and writes them to
tape.

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de