BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Archive full backups?

2009-01-06 17:32:21
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Archive full backups?
From: Bernhard Schneck <Bernhard.Schneck AT web DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 13:38:19 +0100
Hi,

I've been using BackupPC (3.0.0) on Ubuntu (8.x) for a while
and am quite happy with it ... thanks a lot for the effort
to all BackupPC developers and contributors!

I've started to look at the Archive functions.

What I want to achieve is to do regular full and incremental
backups, while archiving the most recent full backups to
different media regularly (say once per week).

As I understand, Archive will transfer the most recent backup
to the archive storage location ... even if this is an
incremental and the corresponding full backup has not been
archived (which makes the incremental more or less unusable
for disaster recovery purposes)

Is there a setting somewhere to achieve this?
Is ``filled incremental'' the best/recommended/only way?
What are other people using?

The only idea I have currently is to script the archive
process to check for full backups on a daily basis, copy
them to a staging area, and archive from there once a
week ... this is possible, but lacks elegance :-)

I've searched the archives (and also did some source code
reading), but havn't found a discussion of this situation
(I may have used the wrong search terms, though, so please
point me in the right direction if I missed the obvious!)

Thanks,

\Bernhard.