BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Choice of b/u drive

2009-01-05 11:39:19
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Choice of b/u drive
From: colinc <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 11:36:51 -0500
Thanks Chris,

Is USB 2 speed really an issue for b/u?

After the initial b/u [and it is all in background] there is not a lot of data
moving about and I've certainly had no problem with my existing Firewire 400
drive which is probably not as fast as USB2.

I am thinking of USB as Apple seem to be loosing enthusiasm for FW [odd as I
think they more or less invented it]! I shall be using a handful of 5m cables
with built-in boosters and I think that I have to choose between a Western
Digital 2TB drive with it's own RAID firmware or use Apple's DiskUtility which
will do it with 2 x 1TBs.

WDs seem the best as they seem about the only drives that now come with a
security slot [LaCie seem more or less to have abandoned them], tho' in this
case I'll need something like a Kensington un-powered mini USB hub as the WDs
only have a single USB connection.

Cheers, Colin