BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] First user problems

2008-12-22 12:55:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] First user problems
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 11:53:05 -0600
Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> On 12/20 04:29 , cantthinkofanickname wrote:
>> But if I do that do I now have to go round to every Windows PC I need to
>> backup and install something. I thought the idea of SMB was to avoid that
>> stage. Maybe I'm wrong here?
>>
>> Any particular reason that I should abandon SMB?
>
> Because rsync only transfers the changed files, not all of them. So backups
> using rsyncd on windows are much faster in most cases.

Actually, rsync only transfers the changes within changed files - but
that may not be important to you if you have plenty of bandwidth.  The
server side still reconstructs a complete file copy and the server disk
may be your bottleneck.  The other difference is that incremental runs
using smb or tar are based strictly on the file timestamps and may miss
files that are new in their current location but were created/copied
with a method that preserves old timestamps - like unzip.  Rsync does a
comparison against the last full run and will pick up any differences.