BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the backup to an external USB drive

2008-12-17 09:42:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the backup to an external USB drive
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 15:41:00 +0100
> My experience in booting the usb disk was successful, I had some
> problems with grub and fstab, which I guess are not easy to avoid.
> Depending on how many disks I have on the machine the device is
> recognized as sdb, sdd, etc, so I should, at least, dinamically generate
> the fstab file, which I am not willing to do right now. By now I could
> live with this kind of manual operation.

You might want to assign a file system label to your backuppc partition.
The label get's copied by the dd, and you can then mount by label. In
/etc/fstab it looks like this:

LABEL=my-backuppc   /mnt/backuppc   ...

or, if this is not supported (I'm not sure which part of the operating
system needs to support this, probably mount), this should work too:
/dev/disk/by-label/my-backuppc /mnt/backuppc.

You can assign a label using tune2fs -L (for ext2/ext3) file systems.
You can do that online even while the file system is mounted, I'm not
sure how to make the link in /dev/disk/by-label appear instantly,
though. I have a server with LVM here and deactivating/activating the
appropiate logical volume made the label appear correctly.

HTH,

Tino.

www.lichtkreis-chemnitz.de
www.craniosacralzentrum.de