BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the backup to an external USB drive

2008-12-15 08:05:14
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up the backup to an external USB drive
From: Rodrigo Real <rreal AT ucpel.tche DOT br>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:02:46 -0200
Hi

Holger Parplies wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Andreas Micklei wrote on 2008-12-15 10:13:38 +0100 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
> Backing up the backup to an external USB drive]:
>> Am Freitag, 12. Dezember 2008 schrieb Rich Rauenzahn:
>>> Some of you running dd might want to consider "dump"
>>> [...]
>> I have been doing that for about two years now. Works great!
>
> I've been meaning to ask/point this out for some time now. Has anyone actually
> tried *restoring* a dump of a *reasonably sized* pool? The reason I'm asking
> is
> that as far as I understand the man page, restore runs completely in user
> space, so it is faced with the same problem as cp/rsync/tar - the need to keep
> an inode-to-path-name mapping for correctly re-creating hardlinks. It is
> possible that restore can handle this problem, but I wouldn't take it for
> granted without testing.

The restore issue is the reason that targets me to a sort of live system
which I can easily test and use  any time I want. I prefer to waste some
time more while doing the backup and than to do a fast backup and spent
a lot of time to recover it in case of "disaster". That's why I want to
have this live USB-HD.

Cheers,
Rodrigo