BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] upgrading from 2.1.x and swapping servers

2008-12-13 20:58:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] upgrading from 2.1.x and swapping servers
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Trey Nolen <tnolen AT internetpro DOT net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 02:56:21 +0100
Hi,

Trey Nolen wrote on 2008-12-09 10:20:00 -0600 [[BackupPC-users] upgrading from
2.1.x and swapping servers]:

> [...]
> We are running a 2.1.x server that is getting pretty full (and old).
> It is using the Debian packages for BackupPC.  We are about to upgrade to a
> new, Ubuntu server (Intrepid) for which the 3.1.0 packages are available.
> My questions are these:  Can I move the pool from a 2.1.x server to a 3.1.0?

yes.

> If so, are there any changes I need to implement to make it compatible?

No.

> Can we go straight from 2.1.x to 3.1.0?

Yes.

> Any other insights would be much appreciated.

I haven't looked at the Ubuntu 3.1.0 package, but I would expect the
directories to be compatible (read: identical) to the Debian 2.1.x package.
You should probably check the main config file (which I would expect to be
/etc/backuppc/config.pl in both cases). If $Conf{TopDir} should happen *not*
to be /var/lib/backuppc (which I doubt), you would need to patch
BackupPC::Lib.pm. If in doubt, post the config file differences here.

Hmm, you will have to edit your changes to the old config.pl (if any) into the
new one.

As for the pool, all you really need to think about is the backuppc UID. The
Ubuntu package will probably create the backuppc user with a different UID
than you currently have (and thus the pool files belong to). You can either

1.) chown -R the pool to the new UID (will probably take quite long),
2.) create the backuppc user with the correct UID before installing the
    package (at least I would expect this to work), or
3.) change the UID of the backuppc user in /etc/passwd to match the pool,
    providing there is no collision with an existing user. You will need to
    chown any files the package may have installed as belonging to the UID
    it create the backuppc user with (hint: 'dpkg -L backuppc' should list the
    files this could apply to, though you probably only have to look at
    /etc/backuppc).

Personally, I'd install the package without the old pool being mounted on
/var/lib/backuppc, stop BackupPC if necessary, then mount the pool, copy over
the configuration/edit config.pl, restart BackupPC, and finally browse the
backups via the web interface, just to make sure everything looks as expected.
I'd make sure I wasn't doing this the very minute a scheduled wakeup was
due :-).

Hope that helps, though I'm almost a week late in replying.

Regards,
Holger