BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?

2008-12-08 12:49:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2008 11:47:46 -0600
tmassey AT obscorp DOT com wrote:
> Hello!
>
> In all of the myriad of "how do I replicate a server", someone one time
> suggested using a netcat/dd like command with block-level hashing to copy
> only changed blocks.  Since then, I have searched *extensively* for this,
> and I cannot find it.
>
> Does anyone know of such a beast?

Someone might have mentioned the possibility of hacking the check for
devices out of rsync and then using it with the option to modify in
place to directly duplicate a disk or partition.  I'm not sure if anyone
has actually tried it.  If you have intermediate disk space you could dd
your image to a local file, rsync that to a remote copy, then dd back to
a device (and if it is just for backup purposes you could defer the copy
to a device until you needed it).

> Also, in the interest of "improved dd", using Clonezilla to clone a backup
> pool has advantages over DD if your pool is substantially smaller than the
> size of the disk.  However, in cases where it's not, dd would be easier.

Clonezilla also offers intermediate image file storage but it is
compressed and would not rsync updates as well.