BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?

2008-12-08 12:31:33
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Block-level rsync-like hashing dd?
From: tmassey AT obscorp DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 12:17:11 -0500
Hello!

In all of the myriad of "how do I replicate a server", someone one time
suggested using a netcat/dd like command with block-level hashing to copy
only changed blocks.  Since then, I have searched *extensively* for this,
and I cannot find it.

Does anyone know of such a beast?

Also, in the interest of "improved dd", using Clonezilla to clone a backup
pool has advantages over DD if your pool is substantially smaller than the
size of the disk.  However, in cases where it's not, dd would be easier.

Tim Massey