BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Need for better 'timeout' logic

2008-12-07 12:54:54
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Need for better 'timeout' logic
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 12:53:35 -0500
Johan Ehnberg wrote at about 17:49:05 +0200 on Sunday, December 7, 2008:
 > dan wrote:
 > >     Specifically, it seems to me that we should distinguish (at least)
 > >     among the following situations for long dump/restore times
 > >     1. Large backups/slow links - here...
 > >

 > >     2. Disconnected PC or newly degraded link speed - here it would be
 > >       nice to have a separate "timeout"...
 > >
 > >     3. Rebooted PC - in this case it may depend on the backup method. For
 > >       'rsync' you might as well stop ...
 > >
 > >     4. Hung backup - here you want to stop if no "activity" (e.g., no
 > >       information) is being transferred ...
 > >

 > > maybe the timeout should actually run a script and proceed based on the
 > > response.  have the timeout set low and run a script to check the
 > > bandwidth usage of that process, then let the timeout period run again
 > > and compare the bandwidth.  This would compensate for a large file as
 > > there would be bandwidth used for the rsync process and allow a quick
 > > termination if there is no network connectivity anymore.
 > >
 > > thoughts?
 > >

 > I've been dealing with this quite a lot with complex setups.
 >
 > The pragmatic approach is SSH, it has an option that has been helpful:
 > BatchMode (or just ServerAliveInterval). Technically, it covers problems
 > 2 and 3. 1 should not be a problem (or only handled by the current
 > client timeout) and 4 should be reported in a LOG as it is - otherwise
 > it's a bug.
 >
 > Also, only SSH is truly designed for connections over the internet. SMB
 > especially, but also rsync can't handle it very well and rely on TCP
 > only. In other words, they are best suited for LAN:s. (In which case you
 > have access to the hardware and drivers, which cause any problems.)

Well - I am backing up over a LAN. I use rsyncd (without SSH) for my Windows
machines since rsync over ssh fails (as has been reported by many) and
setting up rsyncd over an ssh tunnel to localhost ads even more of a
kludge (plus my laptops are slow and my LAN is relatively secure so I
leave off the SSH overhea).

Nevertheless, due to the vagaries of Windows, I do get stalled backups
maybe 5% of the time.

 > However, analysing the bandwidth would be very interesting to create a
 > smarter or  more universal diagnostic. But it would have to be aware of
 > things like rsync checksumming times and concurrent connecions/server
 > loads. Something like "if all of these are true, stop":
 > - No network activity for the link
 > - Network load (bottlenecs included!) is not at 100%
 > - Server load is not at 100%
 > - Client load is not at 100%
 > - Situation is unchanged after a period of time
 >
 > This should take to account load balancing priorities, nice levels...
 >
 > I look forward to any insights this discussion may reveal.

I think it would be helpful -- at a minimum, it would be nice to have
the option of getting an email when a backup has stalled or slowed
below a minimal level rather than having to wait for either the
backout to timeout completely at 72000 seconds (and I'm not sure that
even then you get an email) or having to wait for several more days
until backuppc "realizes" that you haven't had backups in a while.