BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Need for better 'timeout' logic

2008-12-05 11:43:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Need for better 'timeout' logic
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 09:39:23 -0700
Specifically, it seems to me that we should distinguish (at least)
among the following situations for long dump/restore times
1. Large backups/slow links - here...

2. Disconnected PC or newly degraded link speed - here it would be
  nice to have a separate "timeout"...

3. Rebooted PC - in this case it may depend on the backup method. For
  'rsync' you might as well stop ...

4. Hung backup - here you want to stop if no "activity" (e.g., no
  information) is being transferred ...

maybe the timeout should actually run a script and proceed based on the response.  have the timeout set low and run a script to check the bandwidth usage of that process, then let the timeout period run again and compare the bandwidth.  This would compensate for a large file as there would be bandwidth used for the rsync process and allow a quick termination if there is no network connectivity anymore.

thoughts?