BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Project Cuba announcement, was: Wh at is the latest on acl backup for Windows (and selinux)?

2008-12-04 10:03:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Project Cuba announcement, was: Wh at is the latest on acl backup for Windows (and selinux)?
From: Achim J. Latz <achim+backuppc AT qustodium DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 16:00:56 +0100
Hello Dan:

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 19:03:23 -0700, dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> I would say that if you have a good backup from day 1, you would simply
> restore that backup and have all the benefits of a fresh install.  we
need
> a tool that will run rsync against shadowcopy so that you could get every
> file on the system so that a restore would be possible.

This is effectively what happens in Project Cuba:

1/ connect to the host to be backed up,
2/ make a shadow copy for the various shares (using Microsoft vshadow.exe
for now)
3/ start rsyncd on the shadow copy,
4/ and start the backup.

I hope to be able to share these pre/post scripts with you in the very near
future.

Best regards, Achim