BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Project Cuba announcement, was: Wh at is the latest on acl backup for Windows (and selinux)?

2008-12-03 10:09:28
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Project Cuba announcement, was: Wh at is the latest on acl backup for Windows (and selinux)?
From: Rob Owens <rob.owens AT biochemfluidics DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 10:07:20 -0500
Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
> It seems to me like a shame that there hasn't been more interest and
> effort in getting BackupPC working better on Windoze because now it
> really is only useful for limited user file backups. Without
> proper treatment of the registry, ACLs, and all the other details of
> NTFS, I wouldn't want to rely on BackupPC to restore system-level files
> or even executable programs. This means that I still need to do
> occasional full disk clones which typically require manual
> intervention (unless you buy commercial software) and take up lots of
> space since they don't offer the pooling functionality.

I think the going theory (my theory, anyway) is that if a Windows system
crashes, you might as well use the opportunity to do a fresh install.
Windows seems to need that once in a while anyway.  Maybe your
experience is different, but I find that Windows generally has "aging
problems".  It behaves worse and worse over time.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.