BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC on solaris or linux

2008-11-26 17:58:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC on solaris or linux
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:56:39 -0700
For backuppc, you might just consider using nexenta as it is essentially debian with the opensolaris kernel.  You can admin it with standard gnu utilities like a linux system but get ZFS couresy of the opensolaris kernel.

Also, the ubuntu 8.04 deb installs on nexenta core 2.x.  Basically just install nexenta core 2, apache and then the backuppc deb from archive.ubuntu.com Then just create your storage pool with `zpool create raidz poolname device1 device2 etc`.  Then `cp -Rp /var/lib/backuppc/* /poolname` and then `zfs set mountpoint=/var/lib/backuppc poolname`

I highly suggest that you disable compression in backuppc and instead enable basic compression on your storage pool with `zfs set compression=on poolname`.

you have the option of using gzip compression with zfs but it will really hammer on performance for minimal gains.

keep in mind that the opensolaris kernel supports nic channel bonding which is a very good idea considering it provides more speed on your lan but also a redundant nic.  Also, you should use entire disks for zfs as using disk slices/partitions is not as fast in current zfs versions.

Also, remember that zfs raidz is not raid5 and does not have the parity penalty so you do want to use raidz or raidz2 on zfs.  Also, if you are trying to get a very high performance array, consider getting a 32GB SSD and using it is a cache disk with ZFS.  You can squeek out even more if you get another smaller SSD for the log disks BUT you must get the high speed SSD drives.

as with many multidisk setups, your performance comes from high spindle count.

I tested Solaris10, opensolaris 2008.5 and 2008.11beta and settled on nexenta mainly because I am a big debian/ubuntu fan.  I am still running my 2 primary backuppc servers on ubuntu 7.04 but planning to migrate them off to nexenta as all of my testing has been very good.  ZFS seems to be almost tailor built for backuppc.