BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] How do you "lock" BackupPC from running?

2008-11-21 11:29:30
Subject: [BackupPC-users] How do you "lock" BackupPC from running?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 11:27:35 -0500
For the part of my routines BackupPC_fixLinks and BackupPC_deleteFile
that actually try to make new links (or delete old ones), I would like
to make sure that nothing else is creating or deleting links to the
pool to avoid collisions.

Specifically, I would like to be able to do the following:
1. Query the server whether it is free
2. If free tell the server to not launch anything else (i.e place
   equivalent of lock file)
3. Tell server when it can go back to launching other things
   (i.e. remove lock file).

I assume that BackupPC_nightly and BackupPC_link must do similar
things but I couldn't quite figure out how.

I want to do this in a "clean" way that doesn't require adding new
messages to BackupPC or that doesn't require me to queue up an
external process (since I want to do all this in perl subroutines).

Any pointers/suggestions?

Thanks