BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC DR Replication

2008-11-20 10:30:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC DR Replication
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 08:28:26 -0700
I do the rsync route.  The key is to use rsync3.  If you dont want to upset the balance of your distro you can keep your existing rsync install and just build rsync3 and drop it in /usr/bin/rsync3 or something.

I have a 1.54Mb link to a remote office and I have one backuppc server handling backups and another configured identically except it does not have backuppc running.  I sync using rsync3 across the network.

This works exceptionally well now that rsync3 is out.  When I was using rsync2 it was pretty slow.

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 6:04 AM, Rob Owens <rob.owens AT biochemfluidics DOT com> wrote:
Andrew Libby wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've been running BackupPC for a few months.   I'm now
> thinking of disaster recover strategy.  My initial thought
> is to replicate (via rsync) the BackupPC configs and data to
> another server.  This server would not actively run BackupPC
> jobs, but I would like to be able to restore from it in the
> even to of a catastrophe.
>
> Is this a reasonable approach?  Are others doing something
> like this, or something else even to meet the same objectives?

Seems reasonable, as long as you test it.  Rsync'ing the pool can take a
long time (I've done it).  You should consider whether you want your
second server to be on-site or off-site.

Here's what I do:

I have one on-site BackupPC server, and one off-site BackupPC server.
They are each configured to backup the same hosts -- I don't rsync one
server to the other, I just let them both run.  Each server uses
software RAID 1 (mirrored drives).  If a drive fails, I have an
immediate failover via RAID.  If a server burns up in a fire, I have two
choices to restore:  1) perform my restore over the internet, which will
be pretty slow, or 2) ship one of the hard drives from the remote server
to me so I can install it in a new server and perform my restore locally.

-Rob

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.