BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Native Window version of rsync

2008-11-19 23:11:35
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Native Window version of rsync
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:10:10 -0700
ahh! keyboard shortcuts are a mixed blessing!  didnt mean to send it yet.....here is the continuation

> If you have even looked at the code for rsync, you will likely be infringing
> on the GPL if you license this anything but GPL.

This coud be true which is why I bought up my concern.  That is why if
there is any doubt, one should always perform a clean-room reverse
engineering effort to produce compatible works.

a clean room easily clears you from GPL violation.  Additionally you might get the author to clear your code which would eliminate any issues as well especially if you credit the original author for inspriation or whatever.  GPL coders are certianly influenced by such compliments.

> I am not some GPL nazi, I am just making this point.

> You might run into some other problems if using GPL code in a C# environment
> if you are using shared libraries that are not GPL.

Another myth. Please stop spreading FUD.

This is no myth.  The GPL clearly states that GPL'd code cannot be linked with or to incompatible licensed code.  *Some* shared libraries that may be used when programming in C# may be licensed in a non-GPL compatible license.  Case in point: Stallman's standpoint that nvidia binary drivers violate the GPL because they link into the Kernel (GPL) but have a non-GPL compatible license.  I'm just saying that one should be considerate of the shared libraries license.

Go ahead and develope and license as you please.  I am just making suggestions

I wish these guys good luck and look forward to seeing their software progress.  Considering that this is .Net, I'm looking forward to having an rsync client that will run on server2008/Vista 64bit as cygwin doesnt care for the 64bit part.