BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Any plans to "upgrade" File::RsyncP to version 30?

2008-11-09 18:02:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Any plans to "upgrade" File::RsyncP to version 30?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 18:00:45 -0500
Cody Dunne wrote at about 09:00:49 -0500 on Friday, November 7, 2008:
 > Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
 > > Heinrich Christian Peters wrote at about 23:52:26 +0100 on Thursday,
 > > November 6, 2008:
 > >  > I think the changes between the protocol 28, 29 an 30 is documented
 > > here:
 > >  > <http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/utils/admin-tools/rsync/OLDNEWS>
 > >
 > > Very helpful but overwhelming ;)
 > >
 > > Sounds like a lot of good improvements in speed, efficiency and
 > > particularly memory usage.
 > >
 > > One change that will likely require updates beyond File::RsyncP is:
 > >    Protocol 30 now uses MD5 checksums instead of MD4.
 > >
 > > I assume this would require changes to RsyncDigest.pm and maybe also
 > > FileZIO.pm to deal with this new digest format. Maybe also a new first
 > > byte (d8 anybody???).
 > >
 > > Still would be great to have an upgrade to fix Windows issues (which
 > > seem to be pretty prevalent).
 >
 > I too would love an upgrade to File::RsyncP. Until then, perhaps a
 > warning should be put in the documentation about trying to use rsync
 > with Windows clients. There isn't anything in there saying to avoid
 > rsync, and it was not obvious to me in my initial research that it would
 > fail.
 >
 > Cody

Agreed - took me several days of frustration and multiple emails to
this group before I realized that rsync just does not work with the
constellation of (english) file names I have on my machine.

I finally moved to rsyncd and have windows more-or-less working. But
given that Backuppc is touted as being able to back up Windows, I
think at a minimum the documentation should note what you need to do
different (and warn about the limitations). At a maximum, it would be
great to have an update RsyncP that hopefully would resolve many of
the problems and even better ultimately something that would allow
shadow copy or something like it. But since this is a volunteer
project, I can't expect the maximum, so maybe the minimum
documentation is the way to go... [note this is not a criticism in any way]