BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Storing SQL backup in revision control (was: Only Backup last 7 days? (rsyncd))

2008-08-26 22:05:23
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Storing SQL backup in revision control (was: Only Backup last 7 days? (rsyncd))
From: Kenneth Porter <shiva AT sewingwitch DOT com>
To: BackupPC User List <BackupPC-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:05:07 -0700
--On Tuesday, August 26, 2008 12:20 PM -0400 "B. Cook"
<bcook AT poughkeepsieschools DOT org> wrote:

> I have a Win2k3 server with Delta Copy running on it.
>
> There is an automated task that dumps the sql db located on that
> machine to a file:

> These seem to compress down to a about 135M (with bzip2)
>
> Is there someway that I could only keep the last 7 or so of these?
> Should I compress them on the server first?.. etc.

(OT for BackupPC)

Are these text files? I was toying with the idea of keeping MySQL backups
in a Subversion revision control system on my Linux box, and the same might
be possible with SQL Server. This way the revision control system would
store only the delta between backups, and I believe it can store the delta
compressed.