BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Only Backup last 7 days? (rsyncd)

2008-08-26 15:38:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Only Backup last 7 days? (rsyncd)
From: Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen AT ispro DOT net>
To: "B. Cook" <bcook AT poughkeepsieschools DOT org>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:40:07 +0300
B. Cook wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2008, at 12:20 PM, B. Cook wrote:
>
>> I have a Win2k3 server with Delta Copy running on it.
>>
>> There is an automated task that dumps the sql db located on that
>> machine to a file:
>>
>> rsync -avz caass::MSSql
>>
>> receiving file list ... done
>> drwx------           0 2008/08/26 02:00:01 .
>> -rwx------   519455232 2008/08/22 02:00:25 CAASS8_db_200808220200.BAK
>> -rwx------   519505408 2008/08/23 02:00:22 CAASS8_db_200808230200.BAK
>> -rwx------   519462400 2008/08/24 02:00:20 CAASS8_db_200808240200.BAK
>> -rwx------   519505408 2008/08/25 02:00:26 CAASS8_db_200808250200.BAK
>> -rwx------   519456256 2008/08/26 02:00:25 CAASS8_db_200808260200.BAK
>>
>> These seem to compress down to a about 135M (with bzip2)
>>
>> Is there someway that I could only keep the last 7 or so of these?
>> Should I compress them on the server first?.. etc.
>>
>> afict there is something with mtime and --files-from, but they all
>> look like it's running that command on the rsyncd server, which in
>> this case is Win2k3.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> Found this type of answer..
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\forfiles.exe /P "D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
> Server\MSSQL\BACKUP" /D -7 /C "CMD /C DEL @FILE"
>
> Make an automated task on the server that will delete files older than
> 7 days on the server..
>
> So I didn't get it via rsync or backuppc.. but got it to work none the
> less..

Although you delete the files, they will still exist in your backups so it wont
make so much sense unless you are backing up only 1 week of data and deleting
the older data. Since BackupPC does not store the same file twice, it shouldnt
have been getting multiple copies of these files into your backup storage drive
anyway.

Thanks,
Evren