BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Tape?

2008-08-19 11:17:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Tape?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:18:34 -0500
thomas wrote:
> Dear community,
>
> We're backing up our pool to tape every now and again, but we would like to
> extract this data into the pool at a later stage.. in case we need to recover.
>
> Here's what I'd like to achieve:
>
> 1. Back up pool to tape using tar (works)
> 2. Extract backup from tape and import it into backuppc pool after 2-3 months
> (does not work)
>
> Anyone?

There's not a clean way to do this.  You can use the archive host
feature to make tar images to tape that can be restored without backuppc
  or roll your own script for this with BackupPC_tarCreate but you lose
pooling on these copies.

If you want to copy the state of the pool files, you'd have to restore
into a different machine with a matching backuppc setup to access them -
and I'd expect a restore that has to re-create the hardlinks to the pool
to take a very long time.  I'd recommend testing this procedure before
you need it. It may be more practical to image-copy the archive disk so
it would be ready to use.