BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental Strategy

2008-08-06 15:36:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Incremental Strategy
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: Christopher Derr <cmderr AT ucdavis DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 14:36:26 -0500
Christopher Derr wrote:
> I've been reading the docs on incrementals and it isn't 100% clear to me
> how to use the directives for something like:
>
> One full a month
> A level 1 incremental at the end of each week
> level 2 incrementals between
>
> Goal: To have backups going back one month with a fairly minimal use of
> storage space.
>
> I'd appreciate a kick in the right direction for a solution similar to
> this using the FullPeriod, IncrPeriod, IncrKeepcnt, and IncrLevels.

Before you start down this path, be sure you understand that storing
multiple fulls doesn't take up a lot more space than incrementals since
all identical copies of a file are pooled.  Also, with the tar and smb
methods you can miss files in incrementals if they are copied in ways
that preserve old timestamps.