BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] move a specific backup (share) from one pool to another pool

2008-08-05 09:00:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] move a specific backup (share) from one pool to another pool
From: "Jon Craig" <cannedspam.cant AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 09:00:38 -0400
I am inferring from your email that your "data" filesystem for
BackupPC is maxed out and you cannot grow.  Your thoughts are to
create a new filesystem and start spliting things up between them.  If
this is true then I believe your answer is "no".  BackupPC does
de-duplication using hard-links between the files in the pc/[host]/*
directory and the (c)pool directory.  Hard-links cannot cross
filesystems, so creating a second filesystem won't work.  Your only
choice would be to create a second BackupPC instance and move clients
over to the new instance.

I also anticipate that moving clients past backups between instances
would prove very difficult. You may be able to do something with
BackupPC_tarCreate and BackupPC_tarExtract.

On 8/5/08, sabujp <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

>  Is it possible to move all of the backups and incrementals of a particular
> share (/home/user) from one data directory (pool) into another?
>
>  Let's say I've got 100 home directory shares that use up 16TB of data in one
> top level directory (pool). I cannot expand this volume beyond 16TB but I can
> get another 16TB volume.
>
>  Is it possible to "extract" the backup data for a particular share from one
> top level data directory (pool) and move it to another top level data
> directory (pool) on another file system? If each of the home directories were
> equivalent in the amount of space used, then I could move 50 of the backed up
> shares to the other volume and then spread the original 16TB across two 16TB
> volumes (leaving 8TB on both volumes).

Jonathan Craig