BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] free backup software

2008-08-04 11:14:07
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] free backup software
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: drew64 <andrew.berns1984 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 17:13:08 +0200
Hi,

drew64 wrote on 2008-08-03 20:55:13 -0400 [[BackupPC-users]  free backup
software]:
> I have been looking for some free backup software [...]
> I have tried Cobian [...] winbackup [...] comodo backup. Any one have any
> experience with these.

is that a question?

This is a technical mailing list on the usage of the BackupPC software.
Questions about other software are off-topic here. While questions like
"Is BackupPC suitable for the job?" or maybe even "Is BackupPC better
suited than Cobian/winbackup/comodo backup?" would be reasonable,

> Is there a way [for Cobian backup] or a program that will just back up and
> replace the file that has changed into the same folder?

is not.

As Nils already stated, BackupPC would be suitable for what you basically want
to do, but may be considered "overkill". In particular, it does *not* give you
a simple copy of your file tree(s). You get a backup history (of configurable
extent) without the penalty of consuming space for identical copies of files.

Regards,
Holger