BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] archive problem

2008-08-03 19:03:17
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] archive problem
From: "Jeff Rippy" <jrippy AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Holger Parplies" <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 18:01:55 -0500
Holger, thank you for your reply.  I thought I had restarted BackupPC but apparently not so it started working after I rebooted the server.  Thanks for your help.  I have very little experience with bash/sh/dash scripting but am trying to learn currently.  Chris Robertson pointed me to the switches page at tldp.org.  Thank you for the information.  It was very useful.  Again, thank you all for the quick replies.

Jeff

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de> wrote:
Hi,

Jeff Rippy wrote on 2008-08-01 12:48:46 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users] archive problem]:
> yes I had thought of that too

"that" being? The permission problem Les and I had pointed you at?

> and have already added the backuppc user to the "tape" group.

I presume you didn't forget to restart the BackupPC daemon?

> [...]
> I think the problem has something to do with what Holger was saying, for
> some reason the script is trying to create /dev/st0 even though its already
> there.

Sorry for being unclear.

Holger Parplies wrote on 2008-07-31 14:58:42 +0200 [Re: [BackupPC-users] archive problem]:
> Jeff Rippy wrote on 2008-07-31 06:58:46 -0500 [[BackupPC-users] archive problem]:
> > [...]
> > So it looks like one of the scripts is trying to create /dev/st0 if its not
> > there,
>
> no, it looks like the shells output redirection is trying to create /dev/st0
> after BackupPC_archiveHost had already determined that it exists.

I was merely trying to point out that your observation was wrong. Not the
scripts, the shells output redirection was complaining. I was using your
wording which I probably shouldn't have done.

> Strangely, my /bin/sh *never* says "cannot create", [...]

Testing with dash reveals that it does, in fact, *always* say "cannot create",
also on permission problems, so, I repeat:

> but I'd guess it's simply a permissions problem
> on /dev/st0.

Back to your e-mail:
> Here is an excerpt from the script that I think is relevant

Correct.

> but I haven't been able to find information on the sh or dash or bash
> (whichever it is) switches that are being used here:

Slightly above (lines 102 and 134). Line 136 reveals that you're using
BackupPC 3.0.0.

> specifically look at 109 where it checks for something

Which it finds. See line 114 and compare with your log file.

> and 116 where it tries to create the output location)

Which is not reached, because, as I already wrote, BackupPC_archiveHost has
determined that /dev/st0 exists.

So, to sum it up, restart your BackupPC daemon so it and its children will
belong to the tape group, and your permission problems should be gone.

Regards,
Holger