BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Stop backups running out of "WakeupSchedule"

2008-06-25 17:02:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Stop backups running out of "WakeupSchedule"
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 23:02:37 +0200
On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 08:05:21PM +0200, Cédric Lemarchand wrote:

> We are backing up all of our servers using BackupPc, a great soft, it s
> works very well.
>
> We are trying to find how can we "properly" stop or pause a running
> backups when they take more time than the "WakeupSchedule" period,
> because our ADSL connection is unusable when backups are running.
>
> For now, a cron job restart backuppc every day at 08h00, is there any
> other solution to do that ?
>
> Any ideas are welcome.

A totally different solution (apart from that, I agree that having a
"halt backups during this period" feature would be cool) would be to set
up traffic shaping in front of the ADSL. You'd prioritize backup traffic
lowest, so it only gets the spare bandwidth (or maybe some 50kbit/s or
such). That way, the backups could continue in the background, until the
backup halting feature has been implemented. ;-)

HTH,

Tino.

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de