BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Consistent (and frustrating!) 'child exited prematurely' errors

2008-06-20 10:11:03
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Consistent (and frustrating!) 'child exited prematurely' errors
From: "Leandro Tracchia" <ltracchia AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:10:57 -0400
Rob:

> I have filenames that are too long to be backed up from my Windows servers,
> and BackupPC just skips them (and shows an error in the logs). It does not
> cause rsyncd to stop.

just skips them ?!?! thats not good. i'm going to have to take care of that.

> I don't know what those last two errors are.  I don't supposed rsyncd is
> running out of memory on the windows machine, is it?

the windows machine has 3GB of RAM. i'm guessing thats enough.

> I found this thread which blames the error on the --partial switch.
> http://www.itefix.no/phpws/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=view&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS=454
>  I'm not sure I'm convinced, though.  I still suspect memory issues, but it's
> just a hunch.

i also read a different post on a problem with backuppc crashing when
continuing from a partial backup (but of course i can't find the post
now). the full backup in my situation IS ALSO trying to continue from
a partial backup. what do i have to do to make backuppc start the full
backup from scratch instead from a partial??? i want to try this.

Chris:

> Transient network issue or a firewall.  The Client is claiming that the
> BackupPC server sent a TCP reset.  The three and a half hour gap between log
> entries is interesting. Did the backup not encounter any more long filenames
> in that time, or did it get hung up on something...  More verbose logging
> might help determine that.

not a firewall issue. but i do also have concern about my network.
this is why i am going to rearrange the backuppc server so that it
downloads the data from the windows file server directly onto a local
hard drive on the backuppc server (instead of moving it to the NAS).
i'm hoping this will make a difference. how can i get more verbose
logging from rsync on the windows server??

thank you both for your help.