BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up laptop as available

2008-06-18 18:40:29
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up laptop as available
From: Kurt Tunkko <kurt.tunko AT web DOT de>
To: Curtis Vaughan <cavaughan AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 00:40:13 +0200
Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> I was wondering if there was a way to make backuppc backup laptops as the
> become available on the network.

I thought about the same procedure and as an enhancement backup Laptops
when they are connected via (Open-)VPN.
While I had not enough time to explore this in detail a solution for
your problem might be:

1) Check if your client-laptop has a certain IP
2) connects to the BackupPC-server vis SSH and request a backup from the
command line (I think there is an option to make BackupPC starting a
backup from the command line)

Assuming that your laptops are running Windows, you can use this batch
file to run command based on the IP the client-PC has.
You could run this script in taskplaner or start it when after you made
a connection to network. IBM Access Connections offers this feature.

- - 8< - -

@echo off
:: for error tracking, you should set echo on
:: This Script can be found at (german language):
:: http://www.supportnet.de/fresh/2005/12/id1211340.asp

IPCONFIG | FINDSTR "IP-Adress" >ip.tmp
FOR /F "tokens=2,3,4 delims=:. " %%a IN (ip.tmp) DO SET SubNet=%%a.%%b.%%c
DEL ip.tmp

IF %SubNet% == 192.168.178 GOTO F1
IF %SubNet% == 192.168.2 GOTO F2
GOTO ERR

:F1
:: Assuming that Subnet 192.168.178.* is your company address
ssh backuppc@BACKUPPC-SERVER COMMAND-TO-START-BACKUP-OF-CLIENT
GOTO END

:F2
:: Assuming that subnet 192.168.2.* is another subnet
echo ANOTHER COMMAND THAT SHOULD BE RUN, IN THIS SUBNET
GOTO END

:ERR
echo There has been an error, or your client is in another subnet.
GOTO END

:END
pause
:: You can also delete the line above