BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Pause backup jobs

2008-06-18 11:36:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Pause backup jobs
From: "mark k" <mkopenski AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Les Mikesell" <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 11:36:31 -0400
I have set up a backup job that way, and split it up into 15
individual jobs, it is still a lot of files though.

I am going to try out sending a SIGSTOP and a SIGCONT to the rsync job
on the client and see if it works. If it does, I don't think that
would be very hard to incorporate into BackupPC interface.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:26 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> mark k wrote:
>>
>> Wondering if anyone one has found away to pause or suspend a backup
>> job instead of stopping
>>
>> I am backing up several servers with large luns 750 gb to 2tb in size.
>> With millions of tiny files.
>>
>> So everytime a new rsync job kicks off it has to rebuild the file list
>> and the only time the backup job completes is on the weekends, when
>> the jobs can run 24/7
>> can only run about 8 hours a day on the weekdays.
>>
>> Is there a way to pause  the rsync on client and then resume it later,
>> so that at least it will get a base full over a couple of nights and
>> then incrementals should work normally after that.
>
> I don't think this is possible, but you might want to look at the file
> distribution on the target.  If you could split this into some number of
> directories that are backed up separately and perhaps a catch-all run that
> excludes the ones backed up individually it might go a lot faster.  Also, it
> might help a lot to add RAM to the server or run fewer concurrent jobs if it
> is swapping due to the size of the directory.  If you have a current version
> of backuppc, it should save partial full runs and accumulate parts until it
> is completed.  However, even incrementals will have to transfer the entire
> directory structure over before starting so it may continue to be a problem.
>
> --
>  Les Mikesell
>   lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com

--
Walt Disney  - "I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I have ever known."