BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] full backups only on fridays?

2008-06-13 15:31:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] full backups only on fridays?
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 21:31:49 +0200
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 03:19:47PM -0400, Leandro Tracchia wrote:

> normally a full backup for me takes about 2-3 days. does the count for
> 6.97 days start at the beginning or end of the last full backup?? if
> it counts at the end then the next full backup won't always start on
> Friday, even if i force the first full backup to start on a Friday.
> also if for some reason the full backup times out and consequently
> delays then the 7 day cycle for each Friday is thrown off.
>
> i read this post:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
> net/msg05466.html
> which had this suggestion:
>
> " - initiate full backups from cron with BackupPC_serverMesg, slightly before
>   the time the incremental would normally run, and set $Conf {FullPeriod} to
>   more than 7 days so the BackupPC scheduler won't interfere."
>
> but this suggestion doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me. why
> would i want to initiate a full backup slightly before the
> incremental????

If your server is configured to wake up at, say 10 p.m. and the
cron-triggered full is already running, it will not start a new
incremental. Triggering the full via cron (before the regular
incremental would start) will give you exactly the behaviour you want.

The trick is that BackupPC _would_ start another incremental because of
the FullPeriod setting, but you interfere slightly before it would do
so. The regular schedule will then notice the running full and not start
another incremental.

HTH,

Tino.

www.craniosacralzentrum.de