BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] full backups only on fridays?

2008-06-13 15:22:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] full backups only on fridays?
From: "Leandro Tracchia" <ltracchia AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Les Mikesell" <les AT futuresource DOT com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:19:47 -0400
normally a full backup for me takes about 2-3 days. does the count for
6.97 days start at the beginning or end of the last full backup?? if
it counts at the end then the next full backup won't always start on
Friday, even if i force the first full backup to start on a Friday.
also if for some reason the full backup times out and consequently
delays then the 7 day cycle for each Friday is thrown off.

i read this post:
http://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg05466.html
which had this suggestion:

" - initiate full backups from cron with BackupPC_serverMesg, slightly before
  the time the incremental would normally run, and set $Conf {FullPeriod} to
  more than 7 days so the BackupPC scheduler won't interfere."

but this suggestion doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me. why
would i want to initiate a full backup slightly before the
incremental????

any more suggestions???