BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] scheduling rolling fulls

2008-06-13 13:20:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] scheduling rolling fulls
From: Rob Owens <rob.owens AT biochemfluidics DOT com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:19:25 -0400
You could set MaxBackups to 1.  That won't necessarily keep you to 1
full per day, but it'll make it so backups happen only 1 at a time.
Given there are only so many hours in day, this will serve to stagger
your full backups somewhat.

You could also set BlackoutGoodCnt to zero to prevent machines from
being backed up during the blackout period.  (I think this will work,
but I've never tried it).

Once you've gotten enough staggered fulls done, you can change these
settings back to something more sensible, such as their defaults of 4
and 7, respectively.

Looks like it might also help to lower MaxPendingCmds, but I don't have
a really good understanding of what that setting does.  The
documentation seems to indicate that setting it to a low number will
make it less likely that a new backup will start.

-Rob

Stephen Joyce wrote:
> Due to a hardware failure on my old server, I recently set up a new
> backuppc server and it backs up about 85 hosts with a 60-day FullPeriod.
>
> Because I started fresh, right now all of the hosts' schedules are in
> lock-step (all got a full the first day, an incr level 1 the next, ...) On
> my old server I had staggered the fulls so that only one or two hosts got a
> full each night, while the rest got some level of an incremental. This was
> a pain to get going--logging each each day and doing a manual full of one
> or two hosts, but worked great to keep the backup window managable once it
> was going.
>
> So my question is has anyone came up with an automated method to stagger
> the separate hosts' fulls across multiple days?
>
> Cheers,
> Stephen

incomplete, or contain viruses.
version.