BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] scheduling rolling fulls

2008-06-13 12:54:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] scheduling rolling fulls
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: Stephen Joyce <stephen AT physics.unc DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:55:30 -0500
Stephen Joyce wrote:
> Due to a hardware failure on my old server, I recently set up a new
> backuppc server and it backs up about 85 hosts with a 60-day FullPeriod.
>
> Because I started fresh, right now all of the hosts' schedules are in
> lock-step (all got a full the first day, an incr level 1 the next, ...) On
> my old server I had staggered the fulls so that only one or two hosts got a
> full each night, while the rest got some level of an incremental. This was
> a pain to get going--logging each each day and doing a manual full of one
> or two hosts, but worked great to keep the backup window managable once it
> was going.
>
> So my question is has anyone came up with an automated method to stagger
> the separate hosts' fulls across multiple days?

I don't have a way to automate it, but you don't have to log anything to
track which you've done if you manually force a few each evening.  Just
look at the 'Full Age' column in the host summary screen and you can
easily tell which ones are still on the original cycle - and click the
links from there to start the next few.   This should eventually fix
itself since the 'next' full gets calculated by the age of the previous,
so if some don't complete on the scheduled day and have to retry, the
next run will be scheduled according to the times they finished.