BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] howto proceed after backup disk space full <Virus checked>

2008-06-05 02:31:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] howto proceed after backup disk space full <Virus checked>
From: Craig Barratt <cbarratt AT users.sourceforge DOT net>
To: Thomas Lehmann <thomas.lehmann AT kvt DOT de>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 23:31:31 -0700
Thomas writes:

> I'm running BackupPC since a few years without problems. But now I got
> stuck on a testing system where the backup disk space has accidentially
> been filled up.
> Is there any way to access older backups again after recovering some disk
> space? I have noticed that the .../pc/<host>/backups files are truncated
> and a new backup starts with ID 0. Is it possible to rebuild the "backups"
> file
> from information within XferLOG files and contents of the (undamaged) backup
> directories? Do I need to take other measures besides the recovery of
> "backups"
> files?
>
> In short: Howto proceed after the backup disk space has been filled up?

Yes, when the backups file is corrupted (or empty) BackupPC doesn't
know about the existing backups.

If you are running 3.x then the information can be recovered easily.
But it probably won't happen in 3.x since the writing of the backups
file is a lot more robust: it writes to a temp file, verifies, and
then renames the file only if correct.

In 3.x, there is a script bin/BackupPC_fixupBackupSummary and you
should run it as the BackupPC user.  You give the names of hosts
you want to fix as arguments.  The default is all hosts:

    su backuppc
    bin/BackupPC_fixupBackupSummary HOST1 HOST2...

If you are running 2.x then one choice is to upgrade to 3.x and
use the -l option to bin/BackupPC_fixupBackupSummary for legacy
mode.  That tries to extract the relevant information from the
host's LOG files:

    su backuppc
    bin/BackupPC_fixupBackupSummary -l HOST1 HOST2...

Craig