BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] newbie backup strategy question

2008-06-04 03:44:16
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] newbie backup strategy question
From: Sebastian Perkins <sperkins AT alpes-controles DOT fr>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 09:43:33 +0200 (CEST)

>>Nils already wrote about the "full" backups with rsync. You need full
>>backups to make expiring work. Only full backups are expired, together
>>with their incremental backups. So I would suggest doing a weekly full.
>>Also note that because of the pooling in BackupPC, unmodified files are
>>only stored once. As an extreme example: If you've got an ISO on every
>>client, it will be stored only once on the backup server since pooling
>>works across all backups.

Is there a link to the paper/howto ? We are mainly backuping samba shares off servers so optimising identical files won't be too great.

Our total full backup amounts to about  300Gb of compressed data, + the incr (a few Gb per day). If I stick to a full backup every week, and be capable of restoring 2 months of data, our 2,8 To NAS might blow up ? :o)

We could bring this down to 1 month...

Thanks,

Sebastian

HTH,

Tino.

--
"What we resist, persists." (Zen saying)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de