BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup Routine

2008-05-30 13:21:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backup Routine
From: Les Mikesell <les AT futuresource DOT com>
To: Lyle Scott III <portcitycs AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 12:22:20 -0500
Lyle Scott III wrote:
> First of all, awesome back up program.  I love the flexibility and power!
>
> I was curious as to back up routines you all were running on a medium
> (~40 client set up) sized network.
>
> I am starting with a 750 GB drive (mirrored with raid 1).  I have done
> some tests with clients and most full backups are less then 5gig...most
> actually being half that and some way more.
> I have tried my best to use all the variables backuppc offers and looked
> into funky arrays, but need some other insights!
>
> I was thinking full backups every 30 days, incrementals every night...
> but wasn't sure how efficient that would be and quite frankly it seems
> too easy
>
> Any suggestions of variables are welcome :)  thanks!

As long as your backups complete overnight I'd keep the default weekly
full, nightly incremental schedule.  It doesn't take any more disk space
since all the identical copies will be pooled.  Just adjust the number
of fulls to keep to correspond to the disk space you have and how
important old copies are.