BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] How to install BackupPc-3.1.0 in RHEL-5

2008-05-01 17:52:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] How to install BackupPc-3.1.0 in RHEL-5
From: Daniel Denson <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Tony Schreiner" <schreian AT bc DOT edu>, backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 1 May 2008 15:52:22 -0700
Sure!

Using the ubuntu server install, you can build a backuppc server, ready to
backup clients, with nothing but the bare minimum software and services, in
less than an hour.
Maybe 10 total clicks/commands including the "apt-get install backuppc"

This server will have no extra services and will be more naturally secure
because of it.

With a centos/redhat/suse system you have more default services and software
installed.  They usually setup a more complete desktops which use up ram and
disk space and typically have extra desktop related services.

this is mainly personal preference but the less that runs on a server
unneccissarily, the better.

I have played with other systems and none are as easy as an ubuntu server setup.