BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] rsync via ssh and sudo aborted: "fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)"

2008-04-26 10:00:20
Subject: [BackupPC-users] rsync via ssh and sudo aborted: "fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)"
From: Guido Schmidt <gs AT schalloch DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 15:59:51 +0200
I'm using backuppc 3.0 successfully for some time with our LAN-clients
via rsyncd. Now I'm trying to backup a WAN-client with rsync via SSH as
explained in the FAQ (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/ssh.html).

The ssh-login connects cleanly with no prompts to a restricted account.
 From that account invoking rsync is enabled with sudo (as suggested by
Martin Hansen in the FAQ):

   backupuser ALL=NOPASSWD: /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender *

The rsync version on the client is 2.6.9, on the backuppc-server 2.6.8.

XferLOG.bad:

full backup started for directory /
Running: /usr/bin/ssh -q -x -l backupuser example.com /usr/bin/sudo
/usr/bin/rsync --server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group
-D --links --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive
--checksum-seed=32761 --ignore-times . /
Xfer PIDs are now 17383
Rsync command pid is 17383
Fetching remote protocol
Read EOF: Die Verbindung wurde vom Kommunikationspartner zurückgesetzt
           [lengthy german for "connection reset by peer"]
Tried again: got 0 bytes
Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
Got fatal error during xfer (Unable to read 4 bytes)
Backup aborted (Unable to read 4 bytes)

I logged in manually and managed to sudo rsync. As long as I left out
the options --server and --sender in /etc/sudoers I was able to do some
rsyncs locally on that client, but with these options enabled rsync
seems to just hang. I don't know how they affect the behaviour, I could
not find any documentation.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Guido