BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] updatedb exclusion for Linux BackupPC users

2008-04-22 13:53:31
Subject: [BackupPC-users] updatedb exclusion for Linux BackupPC users
From: Ryan Manikowski <rmanikowski AT proteus DOT com>
To: BackupPC-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:54:02 -0400
By chance I stumbled upon a small modification to any linux system using
an mlocate/slocate db. Our BackupPC server runs on Centos 5 which by
default runs 'updatedb' every night. For those of you unfamiliar with
this program, it creates and modifies /var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db for
use with the 'locate' command.

Our /var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db file had grown to over 2.5GB since it
was indexing the BackupPC data directory. To avoid this problem, merely
add the path to the BackupPC data directory into /etc/updatedb.conf in
the "PRUNEPATHS =" section.

Hope this helps someone out. We backup the /var/ directory on our
servers (auditing purposes) and this was taking up a bit of space every
night.

This *fix* also applies to Debian and Slackware though Slackware uses
slocate instead of mlocate.

--
Ryan Manikowski

System Administrator