BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Archive encrypted zip

2008-04-16 00:41:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Archive encrypted zip
From: dan <dandenson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Nils Breunese (Lemonbit)" <nils AT lemonbit DOT nl>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 22:41:49 -0600
for a high-compression AES 256bit encryption you can use a tar.7z.  you need to wrap the files in tar to preserve permissions and meta data and then 7z it with AES.  7z is also a very powerfull compressor, better than zip or gzip and can match bzip2 but be faster.  you could technically use 7zip to make AES encrypted regular zip(pkzip style) zip files.

Alternatively, you could just use tar.gz and then encrypt that file with another program.

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 9:35 AM, Nils Breunese (Lemonbit) <nils AT lemonbit DOT nl> wrote:
Alexandre Joly wrote:

> I thought of zip as a good solution for achieving encrypted backups.
> But you are right here, it will lose metadata. My only requirements
> are that archives must be encrypted at the file level (forget
> encrypted volume)

At the file level of the archive or at the file level of the files
*inside* the archive? The first case is easy I guess: you could use an
encryption tool like GnuPG [0] to encrypt the archive created by
BackupPC. If the files inside the created archive need to be encrypted
then you'll have to hack your way into BackupPC I'm afraid...

> and that I can open those under Windows (using Winzip for example).

GPG is cross-platform.

Nils Breunese.

[0] http://www.gnupg.org/