BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Conserve daily backups for 10 years

2008-04-15 05:01:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Conserve daily backups for 10 years
From: Tino Schwarze <backuppc.lists AT tisc DOT de>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:51:41 +0200
On Sun, Apr 13, 2008 at 03:08:12PM +0200, Mario Giammarco wrote:

> since backuppc is very handy I would like to use it to keep an accurate
> history (like cdp or cvs) of each machine day by day.
> So I would like to keep 365 day x 10 years backups.
> I do not understand if it is possible, nor how to do it. If it is not
> possible
> I would like to do the most similar thing.

It is possible. You could either instruct BackupPC to do full backups
only (set $Conf{FullPeriod} = 0.97 and $Conf{FullKeepCnt} = 3660). Or
configure Full and Incr backups accordingly:
(10 years, every 7 days)
$Conf{FullKeepCnt} = 523;
$Conf{IncrKeepCnt} = 3137;

How many clients are you talking about and how much data is on them?
You're talking about a pretty HUGE amount of data. I'm wondering which
machine, disk subsystem and file system will be able to handle that. You
might be talking about billions (10^9) of files here.

And don't forget a second layer of backup: What if your backup server
crashes hardly or burns down? What if some subtle file system bug is
triggered and eats all your data? Every file which is stored in only one
location has to be considered lost.

HTH,

Tino.

--
„What we resist, persists.” (Zen saying)

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de